[Evergreen-catalogers] Angular staff client catalog

Thomsen, Elizabeth et at noblenet.org
Wed Sep 18 17:04:06 EDT 2019

How are people feeling about the Angular staff catalog?  Have you shown it
to library staff?  We have 3.3 on a test server and this morning we turned
on the Experimental Catalog to showed to our catalogers for feedback.  They
were really unhappy with it.  They value having the staff and patron views
of the catalog match, and they want to see the full view of the
bibliographic record whether they are determining whether or not the record
is a match for an item they are inputting, or looking at record they added
from a workform or Z39.50 to spot and correct problems.

The grid only has a few pieces of information from the bibliographic
records that are useful in terms of matching the record to the item in hand
-- the author, the title, the year and the edition statement, if any.  No
format, publisher, description, ISBN, no links to other formats and
editions, no cover image.  I appreciate that they added a link to *View in
Catalog*, which takes you outside the staff client to the public catalog,
but that seems very cumbersome for something people are going to have to do
for practically every record.  And won't public service people have all the
same problems looking up records for patrons to place holds?

I understand the need to Angularize this, and appreciate the work that's
gone into it.  There's a lot I like here in terms of the UI, but with this
sparse display of the bib record, it looks like a real step backward to us.

--
Elizabeth B. Thomsen
Member Services Manager