[Evergreen-catalogers] Angular staff client catalog

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Wed Sep 18 17:32:25 EDT 2019

We're a long way from there, but I just looked at it on a community server,
and I can see why the catalogers are unhappy. We've spent a lot of time
adding to our bib record display (it was pretty bare bones back circa
2010-2011), and this view is even worse, just the record summary. I suppose
they could make the MARC view their default view, but my catalogers are
used to being able to see all the descriptive cataloging in the OPAC view
and any attached items at the same time. This looks like it will make their
lives a little harder.

Mary

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Thomsen, Elizabeth <et at noblenet.org> wrote:

> How are people feeling about the Angular staff catalog?  Have you shown it
> to library staff?  We have 3.3 on a test server and this morning we turned
> on the Experimental Catalog to showed to our catalogers for feedback.  They
> were really unhappy with it.  They value having the staff and patron views
> of the catalog match, and they want to see the full view of the
> bibliographic record whether they are determining whether or not the record
> is a match for an item they are inputting, or looking at record they added
> from a workform or Z39.50 to spot and correct problems.
>
> The grid only has a few pieces of information from the bibliographic
> records that are useful in terms of matching the record to the item in hand
> -- the author, the title, the year and the edition statement, if any.  No
> format, publisher, description, ISBN, no links to other formats and
> editions, no cover image.  I appreciate that they added a link to *View
> in Catalog*, which takes you outside the staff client to the public
> catalog, but that seems very cumbersome for something people are going to
> have to do for practically every record.  And won't public service people
> have all the same problems looking up records for patrons to place holds?
>
> I understand the need to Angularize this, and appreciate the work that's
> gone into it.  There's a lot I like here in terms of the UI, but with this
> sparse display of the bib record, it looks like a real step backward to us.
>
> --
> Elizabeth B. Thomsen
> Member Services Manager
> NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange