[Evergreen-catalogers] Hotkeys in the web client - Keyboard Navigation

Josh Stompro stomproj at gsuite.larl.org
Wed Feb 5 13:27:12 EST 2020

Janet, did you ever find out more details about the state of keyboard
navigation?  Has much changed since you posted this?  I read through all
the responses, but they mainly seemed focused on the global hotkeys.

We know about the hotkeys that are available (pressing the ? key to show a
list).  And those are nice for quickly getting to certain functions.  But
like you we are wondering about keyboard navigation in specific interfaces.

I'm also wondering if the term hotkey means something different than
keyboard shortcuts or keyboard navigation.  I've also seen the term
function key, which might specifically means the F1-F12 keys?

This bug seems to cover all keyboard navigation, but the comments seem
focused on hotkeys, but not on navigating within each interface.

Our staff are having a hard time justifying the work to switch cataloging
and acquisitions to the web client because of how much longer everything
takes to complete, mainly because the mouse needs to be used constantly to
navigate.

I'm not sure if this needs to be tackled interface by interface, or if
there is some overarching plan to add in keyboard navigation for all the
menus and context menus?

Thanks
Josh
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 4:56 PM Janet Schrader <jschrader at cwmars.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there hotkeys in the web client comparable to the xul client such as
> ALT+a+v+v+Enter to go to the add volumes screen, or, ALT+a+h to go to
> holdings maintenance? I have one cataloger who prefers to use the mouse as
> little as possible.
>
> I know the add volumes button and holdings view now require only one mouse
> click. Are there any keyboard shortcuts to open these without a mouse?  I
> haven't found any so far.
>

> Thanks,
> Janet
>

> Janet Schrader
>
> Bibliographic Services Supervisor | CW MARS
>
> 67 Millbrook Street, Suite 201, Worcester, MA 01606
>
> P: 508-755-3323 x 325 | F: 508-757-7801

Josh Stompro - IT Director
Lake Agassiz Regional Library
Desk: 218-233-3757 Ext 139