[Evergreen-catalogers] 3.5 demo Item attributes

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Thu Jul 16 16:52:52 EDT 2020

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the clarification. I wish I could have been present at the
meeting. I found moments during the recording where I wanted to join into
the discussion.

On the point of the tabbed entry of the volume/copy editor instead of the
show/hide buttons, the XUL interface allows for a setting for the Unified
Volume/Copy Editor. We haven't used separate windows since that feature
became available, and my first reaction was "oh, this is a big step
backward."  If nothing else, if others like or at least don't mind having
to go from one tab to another for the volume/copy entry, I hope the option
for a unified v/c interface is provided for those of us who don't like it.

Thanks,

Mary

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 4:21 PM Bill Erickson <berickxx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mary,
>
> The interfaces I demoed on the call were all works in progress.  None of
> them are part of 3.5.  Some or all of them may be included in 3.6, though.
>
> The goal of the demo was to solicit feedback from users.  I got some great
> input on the call and I hope it continues.  Thanks for adding your voice!
>
> The move away from show/hide buttons to a tabbed interface for the
> "volcopy" UI was one thing I was expecting to get a little more pushback
> on.  I received only positive feedback on the call, but it's possible not
> everyone spoke up.
>
> Not having to scroll so much was mentioned as a positive result of the
> change.  It also acts as a middle ground between the current web staff
> all-in-one display and the XUL interfaces where item attributes UI was a
> separate window.  From my perspective, it also makes the interface a lot
> tidier overall, particularly on larger data sets.  But, it's not about me...
>
> I'd like to know how others feel about it.  Images of the holdings and
> item attributes tabs attached for reference.  Note the "Holdings" and "Item
> Attributes" (and "Preferences") tabs just below the record summary.
>
> I should also point out the tabs share data, so you can bounce between
> them without losing work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -b
>

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM Mary Llewellyn <mllewell at biblio.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> So I'm watching Bill Erickson's demo at the Catalogers  meeting
>> yesterday, and I'm not sure if I missed something. When adding holdings, it
>> appears the call number/barcode entry has been separated from the item
>> fields. Are we no longer going to have a unified Volume/Copy editor? I
>> really don't care for the separation on different tabs.
>>
>> Mary
>>

>> --
>> Mary Llewellyn
>> Database Manager