[Evergreen-catalogers] Cataloging magazines for branch libraries

Carolyn Phillips cphillip at grpl.org
Wed Oct 6 12:28:03 EDT 2021

For those who don't know, we are a large urban library with a Main
branch where acquisitions, cataloging and processing takes place, and 7
other branch libraries within the city limits.

For years, we have had magazines mailed directly to the branches, and
they barcode the issues and put them out for circulation.  We at Main
did a large project a number of years ago to add MFHDs to our Evergreen
catalog for our serials.  However, since we began using Bibliocore,
these don't display as they used to -- right now, they are crammed into
the call number field -- and it is my understanding that when we upgrade
to EG 3.7 in November, the MFHDs won't be seen at all.

Branch staff are telling us they have these issues:*

      *

        They are unable to search the catalog for which copies of
        magazines are on the shelf at a location.

      *

        They are unable to search the catalog for which titles are held
        at a location (unless doing a title search).

They would like us to change how we catalog and process magazines for
circulation.

Could you please share how your library handles circulating physical
magazines?

You can email me directly and I can summarize for the list.

Thank you,

Carolyn

*
--
*Carolyn Phillips*
she/her/hers <https://www.mypronouns.org/>

Grand Rapids Public Library | Celebrating 150 Years
<https://www.grpl.org/grpl150>
Main Library | 111 Library St NE | 49503
616-988-5400 x5462 <tel:16169885400,5462> | www.grpl.org
<https://www.grpl.org>