[Evergreen-catalogers] Record bucket ownership

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Thu Jan 6 02:12:21 EST 2022

Hi Everyone,

I finally realized why it's not possible to select records in a queue from
an item load and move them to a bucket. The records I wanted to put in the
bucket were ones where the incoming record matched on duplicates in the
database. Until the records are loaded, they do not exist in the system,
i.e. only imported records can move to a bucket.

In order to get the duplicates into the bucket, my staff went through the
duplicate matches manually and loaded the record/item. Then I had a queue
of imported records which I then copied to a bucket. It would still be
nice (wishlist idea here) to be able to select specific records for the
bucket.

Right now I do have the buckets of duplicates. I know I can export out the
records and use MARCedit to create a spreadsheet. I would really like to be
able for staff to work directly from the bucket. I was showing one person
how to copy the ISBN and search it and she has amazing copy and paste
skills, click on the title link, copy the ISBN in the bib record display,
paste into the search box, highlight the results list to put in a basket,
move to bucket, and merge. Nearly as fast as I just typed that sentence.

So now my question is, is there a way to change ownership of the record
bucket?  If I share my buckets, the staff merging the records cannot remove
them as they work through the list. They will also have the option of doing
the export and creating the spreadsheet although there would be a learning
curve to use MARCedit to export the tab delimited file. I've done it a lot
and I still end up with a spreadsheet missing a crucial column either
because I forgot it or had a typo in the MARC tag/subfield.

As some of you may have heard, I am retiring at the end of the month. These
three item loads for the new libraries are among the last projects I'm
trying to complete and the duplicate records are killing us. I also ended
up with a problem with updating our Illegal aliens subject headings due to
conflicts with authority records, but that's a question for another email.

Thanks,
Janet

Janet Schrader

Bibliographic Services Supervisor | CW MARS

67 Millbrook Street, Suite 201, Worcester, MA 01606

P: 508-755-3323 x 325 | F: 508-757-7801