[Evergreen-catalogers] Angular catalog

Jennifer Pringle jennifer.pringle at bc.libraries.coop
Thu Jan 27 17:17:39 EST 2022

We moved to the angular catalogue in 3.7.0 last May after giving
libraries the option of trying out the experimental version in 3.5 the
year before.

(We ran into a bug in 3.7.0 where placing holds in the traditional
catalogue always used the staff member's contact details instead of
the patron's so we haven't supported use of the traditional catalogue
in our consortium since May 2021.)

The big issues our libraries reported after we moved to 3.7.0 were
about the Search Results page, the Patron View, and the shortcodes
being used in the search library selector.

When we upgrade this year we'll get the fixes for search results (more
details button, URI displaying, etc.) which should resolve most of the
issues we've had reported around search results.  There's still an
issue with how information for preferred library displays in the
search results in 3.8 -

I also really like John Amundsen's Summary tab suggestion. We've
started looking at the Patron View button in 3.8 and it doesn't
currently scope which will be an issue in our consortium (bug report
to come).

The org unit selector using the shortcode instead of the library's
full name is an issue for us in more places than just the staff
catalogue - https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1771636
Relatedly, if you just type the shortcode into the angular catalogue
and don't select it from the drop down your search scope won't change
(though it will look like it did) -

We solved the issue of the formats list including the hidden formats
by deleting the hidden formats from Evergreen (they weren't being used
by anyone in our consortium which is why we'd hidden them).  The fact
that the list is alphabetized based on the value instead of the search
label is still an issue for us though -

Anecdotally we've heard from libraries that they find the angular
catalogue to be faster than the old catalogue which is positive.

My personal favourite feature of the angular catalogue is that you can
right click on a title in the search results and open it in a new tab.
  I don't miss having to do the same search in multiple tabs anytime I
needed to compare records.

Jennifer

Quoting "Thomsen, Elizabeth via Evergreen-catalogers"

--
Jennifer Pringle (she/her)
Co-op Support - Training Lead
Email:jennifer.pringle at bc.libraries.coop
Website: http://bc.libraries.coop

Gratefully acknowledging that I live and work in the unceded
Traditional Territory of the St'at'yemc Nations.