[Evergreen-catalogers] Angular catalog

Thomsen, Elizabeth et at noblenet.org
Thu Jan 27 16:05:40 EST 2022

We introduced the Angular staff catalog in Release 3.6, and staff have
really had a lot of issues with it.  One was having quite different
interfaces for the public and staff catalogs -- staff liked having catalogs
that were nearly identical.  This was especially true of public service
staff, who have to be comfortable in both as they use the staff catalog all
day and also assist patrons using the public catalog.   Our biggest issue
is the loss of the OPAC View tab as default tab, like it was in the
traditional staff catalog.  Whether you're a cataloger trying to identify
whether or not to attach an item to a bibliographic record, or a public
service person finding a book for a patron, placing holds, finding titles
to add to a bucket, carousel or booklist, etc., you need more information
than appears at the top of the screen, and you need to be able to move
around from record to record -- what are this author's other books?  What
are other books on this subject? etc.  There's a button to the Patron View,
which provides the kind of useful, linky information we need, but we want
that view (or something like it) to be a default tab, not a button to click
every time, and following links in the that view take you out of the
Angular catalog.

Here's a Launchpad bug from John Amundsen of CW MARS on this issue that
could use some heat: Angular Catalog should include "Summary" Tab
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1959010>

We recently upgraded to Release 3.7.2, which improved some other Angular
staff catalog issues --it added the More Details button, improved the
open/closed state of the search box at the top of search results and record
pages, and restored the option to jump directly to the record if a search
had only one hit.  A big one for catalogers was restoring the counts for
both the consortium and the preferred library for searches scoped to the
consortium level.

We still have some issues with the Angular catalog search form:

   - Formats List includes all formats, including hidden ones
   - Sort List doesn't default to our standard sort (Popularity Adjusted
   Relevance)
   - List of scopes includes codes not names, and useless choices for
   single-site libraries WAKEFIELD and WAK) and includes libraries who are not
   currently members of NOBLE.  This is more of a problem now than it might
   have been in more stable times -- we have so many new staff at all levels
   that are still learning which libraries are in NOBLE, which have branches,
   etc.)
   - Search doesn't automatically re-execute when you add limiters, you
   have to click on Search -- this may just a matter of getting used to the
   change

There are nice features that are only found in the Angular catalog,
including search templates, and two features that are great for working
with buckets: the ability to save items to a shared bucket, and the option
to save all search results (up to 1000) to a basket with one click (see
screenshots) and we really want staff to make the move, but we're not quite
there yet.