[Evergreen-catalogers] 3.8 UPDATE_COPY permission and system wide shared shelving locations

Lindsay Stratton lstratton at wlsmail.org
Fri May 27 10:22:24 EDT 2022

Hi Catalogers,

We are a system that uses shared shelving locations for the majority of
locations, so all are owned at the CONS level.

Having just upgraded to 3.8 we discovered that the UPDATE_COPY permission
depth must be set to 0/CONS in order for library staff to view/select the
shared locations.

Because the UPDATE_COPY permission applies to ALL item record updates, this
means that all staff can edit any libraries' item records. This is
definitely less than ideal.

I don't know how many systems use shared locations, but I wanted to share
this. I have created a bug report -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1976002.

Lindsay

*Lindsay Stratton*