[Evergreen-catalogers] Setting to generate an alternate TCN when importing a z39.50

Andrea Buntz Neiman abneiman at equinoxoli.org
Fri Feb 24 13:48:27 EST 2023

Hi all,

There is a global flag: cat.bib.use_id_for_tcn (Cat: Use Internal ID for
TCN Value) that will use the Evergreen Bib ID as the TCN.

Since the Evergreen bib ID must be unique, this avoids the collision issue
with duplicate TCNs; but it doesn't as far as I know prompt for alternate
TCN upon import, it just imports the record and assigns the bib ID as the
TCN.

Since it's a global flag, it also applies, well, globally - so proceed with
caution.

ABN

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 1:40 PM Elaine Hardy via Evergreen-catalogers <
evergreen-catalogers at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> I am so grateful we have the privilege of having a single source for our
> bib records.
>
> J. Elaine Hardy, PINES and Collaborative Projects Manager
> ------------------------------
>
> Georgia Public Library Service
>
> 2872 Woodcock Blvd., Suite 250 | Atlanta, GA 30341
>
> (404) 235-7128 | ehardy at georgialibraries.org
>
> (404) 548-4241 | Cell
>
> <https://www.facebook.com/georgialibraries>
> <https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>
> <https://www.instagram.com/georgialibraries/>

> stories of Georgia libraries making an impact in our communities.
>

> It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you
> live near him. *— J.R.R. Tolkien*
>

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 1:16 PM Sarah Childs <sarahc at hmmpl.org> wrote:
>
>> Elaine, for libraries that import from multiple sources, with non-OCLC
>> TCNs, you can have two totally different records with the same TCN. Imagine
>> you couldn't import a record because the Evergreen database ID conflicted
>> with a database ID from a different system.
>>
>> I don't recall a feature where you could automatically generate a TCN
>> (maybe there was something like that with batch import?)  But there were
>> previous versions where you could edit the existing TCN in the flat text
>> editor, which was really handy when you run into this problem.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 12:58 PM Elaine Hardy via Evergreen-catalogers <
>> evergreen-catalogers at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't recall this "feature".
>>>
>>> Why would you add a duplicate record to your database?
>>>
>>> J. Elaine Hardy, PINES and Collaborative Projects Manager
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Georgia Public Library Service
>>>
>>> 2872 Woodcock Blvd., Suite 250 | Atlanta, GA 30341
>>>
>>> (404) 235-7128 | ehardy at georgialibraries.org
>>>
>>> (404) 548-4241 | Cell
>>>
>>> <https://www.facebook.com/georgialibraries>
>>> <https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>
>>> <https://www.instagram.com/georgialibraries/>

>>> stories of Georgia libraries making an impact in our communities.
>>>

>>> It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you
>>> live near him. *— J.R.R. Tolkien*
>>>

>>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 10:42 AM Mackenzie Johnson via
>>> Evergreen-catalogers <evergreen-catalogers at list.evergreen-ils.org>

>> --
>> Sarah Childs (pronouns: she/her)
>> Technical Services Department Head
>> Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
>> 250 North Fifth Street
>> Zionsville, IN 46077
>> 317-873-3149 x13330
>> sarahc at hmmpl.org

Andrea Buntz Neiman
Project Manager for Software Development
Equinox Open Library Initiative
abneiman at equinoxOLI.org <abneiman at equinoxoli.org>
1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457) x5583
*https://www.equinoxOLI.org/ <https://www.equinoxOLI.org/>*