[Evergreen-dev] Profiling Evergreen with More recent PostgreSQL Releases

Blake Henderson blake at mobiusconsortium.org
Wed Jul 21 12:03:05 EDT 2021

Jason,

This is excellent! I, for one, am excited that someone is looking into
this subject deeply. I've been wanting to migrate to a newer version of
PostgreSQL from quite some time. We have some test machines running
Evergreen on PG 10 but they are not getting the thorough testing that
I'd like to be certain it's ready for production. So, thank you. Thank
you very much!

In order to configure PG to use 40% of the server's hardware, are you
focusing on settings?:

|work_mem max_connections effective_cache_size default_statistics_target
constraint_exclusion checkpoint_completion_target wal_buffers
shared_buffers maintenance_work_mem|

And kernel setting:

|vm.overcommit_memory |

Or something else?

I think it's a good idea to test the same version of Evergreen, like you
said. And the latest version makes the most sense.

-Blake-
Conducting Magic
Can consume data in any format
MOBIUS