[Evergreen-dev] Profiling Evergreen with More recent PostgreSQL Releases

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Wed Jul 21 14:04:34 EDT 2021

Blake,

The two instances that are "optimized" are currently setup like the below:

default_statistics_target = 100
maintenance_work_mem = 512MB
constraint_exclusion = on
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
effective_cache_size = 40GB
work_mem = 64MB
wal_buffers = 8MB
max_connections = 100
shared_buffers = 16GB
join_collapse_limit = 9

The server itself has the following that are relevant to Pg performance:

vm.overcommit_memory = 2
vm.nr_hugepages = 16893

As I said, I'm considering changing the configuration so that the
database instance being tested gets all of the resources, and I may shut
the others down individually.

As for Pg10, we're using it on our training server and on this test
server.  It's one of the two currently "optimized."  I have not
encountered any issues with Evergreen and Pg 10.  The performance is
comparable to Pg 9.6 so far.

Cheers,
Jason