[Evergreen-dev] Git, move local customizations to new release

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Mon Dec 12 09:16:52 EST 2022

Josh,

Git rebase and cherry-pick are both reasonable options for bringing
customization branches up to date.

One way of managing this that reduces rebase conflicts is to keep a
separate branch for customization based on the rel_X_Y rather than
rel_X_Y_Z branches.  When you rebase these on the next rel_x_Y branch,
you'll avoid conflicts with the files that are modified in the rel_X_Y_Z
branches.

I've used several different workflows over the years including splitting
the commits out into separate patches per file. Mostly I've used rebase,
but for our planned upgrade to 3.10, I used cherry-pick.

HtH,
Jason