[Evergreen-dev] Updates on translations

Cerninakova Eva cernin at jabok.cz
Thu May 4 11:31:11 EDT 2023

 Hi,

I can hardly contribute to the discussion regarding developer questions that
Galen outlined in his previous email. Just a few very practical notes on
the topic of translation tools from a translator's point of view (maybe
they can be a little helpful in future decision-making).

I personally take quite a pragmatic approach to the translation tool: I
have experience with translations using four different tools (as well as
direct string translations in a text editor). In each of them, there is
something that does not suit me at all and something I really like. And it's
clear (at least from a translator point of view), that choosing a
translation tool will always be a compromise.

   - If I compare Launchpad and POEditor, I must say, POEditor's interface
   is much nicer and “airier”, and it also works better on mobile devices.
   - In Launchpad, I miss the ability to search all strings at once, which
   is a very useful and important option that helps to keep the consistency of
   translations. In POEditor, such ability is available.
   - In Launchpad, it is also NOT possible to skip strings that are not new
   when browsing untranslated strings (I sometimes leave some strings
   untranslated until I get to know them in more detail in the documentation
   and/or I find out how Evergreen uses those strings in practice). In
   POEditor, it is possible to mark batches of strings by tag. Tagging related
   to Evergreen version is extremely helpful for translators as it allows
   them to select only a specific batch of strings, e.g, only strings for the
   newest Evergreen version (thank you very much for tagging strings 🙂).
   - In POEditor, I lack the option to copy the English string into the
   translation field. The ability to copy the original string to the
   translation field by just clicking the button is widely used in Launchpad.
   This is especially important in cases where the string includes variables,
   syntax, etc. Of course, it is possible to manually copy the English string
   in the POEditor, but this may result in parts of the text, spaces or lines
   that dont´t belong to the translation, or, conversely, tha are missing in
   the translated string. This creates errors in the translations, which must
   then be searched for and corrected.
   - In POEditor, I also really miss the translation suggestions based on
   previous translations (memory based suggestions) that are available in
   Launchpad. The translator may not always realize that a similar string was
   translated e.g. two years ago and can translate it differently. This then
   contributes to the inconsistency of translations in the Evergreen
   interface, and thus to a possible confusion for users.

So from my point of view, to sum it up:

POEditor:

   - Missing “Translation memory suggestions”
   - Missing function for copying the original string to the translation
   field

Launchpad:

   - Missing option to search all strings at once
   - Missing option to mark a batch of strings specific to a particular
   version of Evergreen

I hope that my comments will be at least somewhat helpful.

Eva

čt 4. 5. 2023 v 16:59 odesílatel Galen Charlton via Evergreen-dev <