[Evergreen-dev] Git Repositories to Drop?

Robin H. Johnson rjohnson at sitka.bclibraries.ca
Fri May 5 10:31:12 EDT 2023

On Fri, May 05, 2023 at 08:17:01AM -0400, Jason Stephenson via Evergreen-dev wrote:
> > Is there some way we can archive the old repositories instead of
> > simply deleting them, so that they still exist somewhere but don't
> > add clutter? As Jane says, it would be good to retain a record of
> > some of these projects.
> With our current set up, the best we can do is set repositories to a
> read-only configuration.  They will still take up space on the server
> and will have to be moved if we decide to keep them later.
>
> We could move some of them to GitHub and set them as archived there.
> This gets them off of our storage, and we would not have to deal with
> them later.  I hesitate to do this because our future git hosting is
> still undecided.
(Former BC Libraries person here, but I also run Gentoo Linux's
infrastructure team and we have a large Gitolite install, and had run
into capacity crunches before)

I don't trust that GitHub will always exist, so firstly export the repos
as a git-bundle (be sure to include all branches, tags), and then move
those single files into HTTP hosting somewhere - it's not
searchable/browsable, but they are preserved and easy enough to access
(wget https://.../foo.bundle && git clone foo.bundle)

Then, make a seperate org in GitHub and put the archive repos there -
seperate org because it's easier to lock it down, and declare "this
exists for archival purposes only".

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
GnuPG FP   : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85