[Evergreen-dev] OpenSRF / Redis / Rust

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Tue May 30 16:28:17 EDT 2023

Hi All,

Now that our EntrepidReleaseTeam++ has released 3.11 (and more), I thought
it might be fun to talk about OpenSRF for a minute.

Depending on how this conversation goes, I'll have follow up questions, but
before I get into the specifics... How do we feel about adopting Rust [1]
as a supported language for OpenSRF?

I raised the topic at the Evergreen 2023 conference in relation to
OpenSRF-on-Redis: https://bugs.launchpad.net/opensrf/+bug/2017941.

At present, Rust is required to run the Redis working branches, because
that's just how I built some of the pieces -- I was learning Rust.  In
particular, the Router and an improved Websockets gateway are coded in
Rust.  There's other stuff too, but the Router is required, at minimum.

However, to be clear, migrating to Redis without Rust is an option.  It
would require modifying the C Router to make it work with Redis and related
OpenSRF transport message changes.  Not a huge project, but I didn't want
to dig into that if it wasn't necessary.

My (probably obvious) preference would be to adopt Rust, sooner than later,
but that's in part because I'm comfortable writing Rust code.  Anyone else
out there using it?  Ideally, we could have some cross-community coverage.
We'll be using it at KCLS, FWIW, and hope to expand mindshare there over
time.

Once we decide on a path, I'll continue pushing ahead on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/opensrf/+bug/2017941

I appreciate your thoughts,

-b

[1]