[Evergreen-dev] OpenSRF / Redis / Rust

Jason Boyer JBoyer at equinoxOLI.org
Wed May 31 11:08:24 EDT 2023

I'm also largely ok with it, provided we do what we can to keep external crate use to a minimum. I don't know what Rust is doing to avoid their own version of NPM's "ldap moment" (or ansi-color or whatever that bit us directly) but I'd rather not find out first-hand.

Unfortunately while I have had interest in learning more with Rust but haven't been able to actually make the time to do it. I suppose this would finally give me more incentive. :)

I know "should we replace all of the 'C'?" wasn't really Bill's original question but I do think that we're more likely to find folks that can (or more quickly learn) to write correct and safe Rust than C in the long run.

Jason

--
Jason Boyer
Senior System Administrator