[Evergreen-dev] OpenSRF / Redis / Rust

Blake Graham-Henderson blake at mobiusconsortium.org
Wed May 31 16:21:47 EDT 2023

All,

Sorry to say +1, but +1. I've been convinced that Rust is great. All the
news and articles I've read over the years do seem convincing. I like
that this move would be "keeping up" with the times. It doesn't seem
like Rust is going to be short-lived. Our project is old, I think it
could use a little modernizing. I'd say adoption of Rust would put
OpenSRF (and by association, Evergreen) in a "more attractive" position
within the Open Source communities. The downside, it seems, would be
another dependency. And it would be an "add" and not a "replace" unless
we could remove gcc. But it seems that gcc is shipped with most distros.

-Blake-
Conducting Magic
Will consume any data format
MOBIUS