[Evergreen-dev] Merging OpenSRF & Evergreen Into One Project

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Mon Sep 18 11:17:25 EDT 2023

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 4:24 PM Bill Erickson via Evergreen-dev <
evergreen-dev at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:
> At this point, we're still at the "should we do this?" stage, but I'm
also happy to discuss
> specifics regarding potential planning and implementation.

I think the moment has long passed for any thought of OpenSRF as a message
broker that other projects would adopt, and I agree that a unified
installation process would be helpful.

I do have a small qualm at losing the ability to readiy upgrade OpenSRF
independently of Evergreen, and there have been times in the past when we
collectively have benefited from being able to do just that. However, the
current overall development velocity of the project makes that a more
theoretical than actual benefit nowadays.

I do feel more strongly that RediSRF should come first and exist as an
OpenSRF release, even if that release then gets quickly deprecated in the
course of a merge of OpenSRF and Evergreen. Why? Because happily, RediSRF
does look like it's on course to be readily backportable to early versions
of Evergreen by anybody who cares to -- and would provide a benefit that
would repay the effort.

Regards,

Galen
--