[Evergreen-documentation] Vale styleguide checking for Evergreen documentation

Jane Sandberg sandbergja at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 18:03:52 EDT 2024

Hi DIG,

In today's DIG meeting, we looked at a tool called Vale
<https://vale.sh/docs/> for automatically checking if our documentation is
following best practices and the DIG style guide
<https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:dig_style_guide>.
The tool looked potentially quite useful, and so we discussed implementing
it with an incremental approach of:

   - Configure vale in Github Actions with a single rule.
   - Use the list of problem areas provided by Github Actions to fix those
   areas
   - Confirm that Github Actions turns green when all those areas are fixed
   - Add another rule to Github Actions and repeat.

That way, we don't have to learn all about how to write vale rules at once,
nor do we face an overwhelming list of things to fix.

I did step one in the process (added a rule to make sure images in the docs
have alt text).  If you are logged into github, you can see the results
here:
https://github.com/sandbergja/Evergreen/actions/runs/8839819500/job/24273972123

So... next step is to add alt text to those images!  Please feel free to
make edits to my branch in the Github interface
<https://github.com/sandbergja/Evergreen/tree/user/sandbergja/vale/docs/modules>.
Let me know if you have any questions about how to do this, I'm happy to
hop onto a quick zoom.  I won't be able to make it to the next DIG meeting,
but feel free to work on this/discuss this without me :-)

  -Jane