[Evergreen-general] ILS Conversion Justification Questions

Jason Etheridge jason at equinoxinitiative.org
Tue Nov 10 15:48:08 EST 2020

Hi Wendell,

Another Equinoxer here.  In my opinion, the security question boils down to
one question: is security through obscurity better than security through
openness?  The consensus seems to be no, and there are other incentives
(usually monetary) that keep some code bases closed.

Other random thoughts, from another perspective, you can treat an open
source hosted solution the same way you can treat a proprietary solution,
in that you don't have to think about open source at all.  The difference
is that it's more difficult to become "vendor locked" going the open source
route, and the provider has to compete more on their merit and service than
on the pain and cost of migrating to a completely different software
platform.

>From a purity/philosophical standpoint, even proprietary vendors use open
source components.  I just feel that the free and open source ethos is more
aligned with the mission of libraries in general, and libraries have a
history of innovation with technology that open source can help facilitate.

-- Jason