[Evergreen-general] Restricting Circulation for Certain Items by Home Library

Aubrey Area Library aubreyarealibrary at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:53:42 EDT 2021

Is it possible, yes but it would be convoluted if you used the holds
policies to do it. The only way that I can see to stop holds would be by
creating a specific circulation modifier for those items and basing holds
rules off that. Depending on distance though, as someone else mentioned,
you would still need to create circ rules to keep other patrons from
checking those items out.

Like Chauncey mentioned though, age-protection set to 99years is the
simplest route and one that our consortium uses for such items that we only
want to circulate locally.

Jordan Woodard
Aubrey Area Library

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 1:38 PM Lindsay Stratton <lstratton at wlsmail.org>
wrote:

> It is possible to construct circ policies to limit circ to a specific
> library's patrons by creating two rules: one that specifies the circ
> modifier, the User Home Library, and Circulating = True, and the other that
> uses the general consortial level for User Home Library, circ modifier, and
> Circulating = False.
>
> Hold rules function similarly. However, there is a backend setting (our
> system is hosted so I do not know the specific code off hand) for
> the holds processing, that in our system at least, had to be changed to
> allow the consideration of user home library. Prior to that no combination
> of user home library-specific rules worked as expected.
>
> There are various permissions - such as ITEM_NOT_HOLDABLE.override
> and COPY_CIRC_NOT_ALLOWED.override, that can allow staff to force the
> hold/checkout.
>

> *Lindsay Stratton*
> *Systems Librarian*
> Westchester Library System
> 570 Taxter Rd., 4th Floor
> Elmsford, NY 10523
> lstratton at wlsmail.org
>

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 1:51 PM Lolis, John <jlolis at whiteplainsny.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> We're trying to restrict the ability to place holds or to check out
>> certain items based on a patron's home library within our consortium.  Is
>> such possible?  I've pored over the documentation and couldn't find
>> anything specific on how to effect that.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any and all words of wisdom!
>>
>> John Lolis
>> Coordinator of Computer Systems
>>
>> 100 Martine Avenue
>> White Plains, NY  10601
>>
>> tel: 1.914.422.1497
>> fax: 1.914.422.1452
>>
>> https://whiteplainslibrary.org/
>>
>> *When you think about it, *all* security is ultimately security by
>> ignorance.*

If you need further assistance, please contact the library at 940-365-9162
or send a reply email.
Thank You, The Library Staff

226 Countryside Dr., Aubrey, TX 76227