[Evergreen-general] MARC batch import not processing uploaded files (in 3.5.1)

Trevor Johnson tjohnson at apls.state.al.us
Thu Feb 4 09:43:05 EST 2021

Not sure why but this issue happened with us when we upgraded our server to Ubuntu 18.04(bionic). We’re still trying to figure it out.

From: Evergreen-general <evergreen-general-bounces at list.evergreen-ils.org> on behalf of Linda Jansová <linda.jansova at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 2:00 AM
To: "evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org" <evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org>
Subject: [Evergreen-general] MARC batch import not processing uploaded files (in 3.5.1)

Dear all,

We seem to have an issue with the MARC batch import feature in Evergreen 3.5.1.

To make sure it is not caused by data in incorrect format, we have – for testing purposes – used a MARCXML file exported from the same Evergreen instance where we have encountered the issue (the bib record has been exported using the web client MARC batch export feature). This XML file is attached.

We have tried to import the file using admin accounts to the following community/test servers:

  *   https://demo.evergreencatalog.com/eg/staff/home (3.6.0) – works okay
  *   https://bugsquash.mobiusconsortium.org/eg/staff (3.5.0) – works okay
  *   our community server https://evergreendemo.jabok.cuni.cz/eg/staff/ (3.5.1) – does not work okay
  *   our another test (3.5.1) – does not work okay

While when it works okay, the file is processed and all three stages (upload, enqueue and import) progress bars go to a 100 % point, in our 3.5.1 instances we have ended up with the first progress bar. I'm also attaching a screenshot from the Mobius community test server and from ours to clarify what I mean.

Using the opensrf log we have been able to find out the cause of the issue as we were getting error messages like this one:

[2021-02-01 21:34:29] open-ils.vandelay [ERR :7692:Vandelay.pm:272:1612211178912619] unable to read MARC file /tmp/56feb3dd5296fc1f8e579bdc8b29dca7.mrc

These point to the 272nd line of Vandelay.pm (https://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=blob;f=Open-ILS/src/perlmods/lib/OpenILS/Application/Vandelay.pm;hb=43a802ae2c56c9342bfd3a6a4556292d00760d3e).

We are unsure whether it may be a permissions issue (if so, does anyone happen to know a complete list of Evergreen permissions needed for the MARC batch import to run and go through all the stages of data processing?) or something else entirely.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Linda