[Evergreen-general] Family Accounts in Evergreen

Aubrey Area Library aubreyarealibrary at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 19:28:36 EDT 2021

So this has always been one of my "How can we do this?" ideas for years and
I am sure there will come a time when Evergreen is capable of it out of the
box. I was messing around and breaking testing stuff when an idea struck me
on how to go about creating family accounts in Evergreen with what is
available now, and I apologise if it has been posted before.

   - Create the primary account holder.

a. Add new cards (sub-cards) to the account. This can only be done by
clicking “Replace Barcode” entering the new card number, and saving the
account.

b. Click “See All” and set all card numbers to “Active” and set the
original card as the “Primary” card.
[image: Capture.PNG]

   - Using the “Privacy Waiver” feature (enabled in Library Settings
   Editor), add each family member to the account using the last four of the
   barcode (or whatever works for your library) to identify whose card belongs
   to who and what they can do.[image: Capture1.PNG]

   - If you want to be fancy, you can add each family member's name or
   another way to search them using the Name Keywords field.
   - [image: Capture2.PNG]

In theory, this will allow staff to create one card that can be used by the
entire family and still allow libraries to issue cards to juveniles. The
drawback is that should you need to find out who checked out the item, it
will only display the primary cardholder's name. Though the primary
cardholder is responsible for all items checked out regardless, I can see
how this data might be helpful.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions?

Thanks,

Jordan Woodard