[Evergreen-general] Auto disable/enable hotspots - Franklin Pintrac - mobile beacon

Josh Stompro stomproj at gsuite.larl.org
Fri Aug 5 09:21:47 EDT 2022

Hello, we are using Mobile Beacon to provide service for hotspots for
checkout, and since we are using Franklin T9/T10 hotspots, we can make use
of Franklin's pintrac MDM to configure and manage them.

We currently are manually disabling them when they are a few days overdue,
and then manually re-enabling them.  As with any repeated task, it gets old
having to do that over and over again.  And it means that there are delays
for staff and customers when hotspots are returned outside of normal office
hours.

Pintrac doesn't publish their API, but it isn't too hard to figure out
using developer mode to watch the requests being sent.  They require an SMS
code for each login, which makes it a little trickier.  But I'm sure there
is a way to handle that with google voice or twilio.

I'm wondering if anyone has already done the work to create a process to
automatically disable the hotspots when they are overdue, and then
automatically re-enabled them once they are returned?  Or if anyone else is
interested in this same thing, maybe we could collaborate on a solution?

We make use of a bug/feature of the hotspots, where if you set the
SSID/Network name to a string longer than 32 characters, the network name
still gets displayed, but the wifi doesn't work anymore.  So the Device
will display the name, but stop working.  It makes it easy for customers to
see on the device what the problem is.

Thanks
Josh
[image: Company logo]
*Josh Stompro*
IT Director
stomproj at gsuite.larl.org | 218-233-3757 ext. 139 | 218-790-2110
*Lake Agassiz Regional Library *
118 5th ST S
Moorhead MN 56560
www.larl.org
*Our mission is to enrich lives and strengthen communities.*