[Evergreen-general] Auto disable/enable hotspots - Franklin Pintrac - mobile beacon

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Fri Aug 5 10:05:49 EDT 2022

Hi Josh,

Action Trigger events that use the CallHTTP reactor [1] might be able to
help automate disabling and enabling the hotspots.

The SMS confirmation bit suggests that writing a new reactor might be in
order, however, as would trying to convince Pintrack to publish an API.
Otherwise, the reverse engineering clause in the MDM's clickwrap agreement
suggests official support for what you want to do may not be desired by
Franklin.

Regards,

Galen

[1]
https://docs.evergreen-ils.org/eg/docs/latest/admin/actiontriggers.html#reactors

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 9:22 AM Josh Stompro via Evergreen-general <

> Hello, we are using Mobile Beacon to provide service for hotspots for
> checkout, and since we are using Franklin T9/T10 hotspots, we can make use
> of Franklin's pintrac MDM to configure and manage them.
>
> We currently are manually disabling them when they are a few days overdue,
> and then manually re-enabling them.  As with any repeated task, it gets old
> having to do that over and over again.  And it means that there are delays
> for staff and customers when hotspots are returned outside of normal office
> hours.
>
> Pintrac doesn't publish their API, but it isn't too hard to figure out
> using developer mode to watch the requests being sent.  They require an SMS
> code for each login, which makes it a little trickier.  But I'm sure there
> is a way to handle that with google voice or twilio.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has already done the work to create a process to
> automatically disable the hotspots when they are overdue, and then
> automatically re-enabled them once they are returned?  Or if anyone else is
> interested in this same thing, maybe we could collaborate on a solution?
>
> We make use of a bug/feature of the hotspots, where if you set the
> SSID/Network name to a string longer than 32 characters, the network name
> still gets displayed, but the wifi doesn't work anymore.  So the Device
> will display the name, but stop working.  It makes it easy for customers to
> see on the device what the problem is.
>
> Thanks
> Josh
> [image: Company logo]
> *Josh Stompro*
> IT Director
> stomproj at gsuite.larl.org | 218-233-3757 ext. 139 | 218-790-2110
> *Lake Agassiz Regional Library *
> 118 5th ST S
> Moorhead MN 56560
> www.larl.org
> *Our mission is to enrich lives and strengthen communities.*

Galen Charlton
Implementation and IT Manager
Equinox Open Library Initiative
gmc at equinoxOLI.org