[Evergreen-general] Floating and non matching shelving locations

Josh Stompro stomproj at gsuite.larl.org
Fri Jan 14 15:36:00 EST 2022

Hello, We currently don't make much use of shelving locations in our
systems because we don't standardize them at all our locations.  So one
branch will have a separate shelf for Westerns while another will shelve
all adult fiction together.  One site will shelve all the Juvenile Fiction
and J Graphic novels together, and the next site will have separate shelves
for them.

But I'm intrigued by the possibility of having pull lists and other reports
sorted by the shelving locations for each site using the Shelving Location
Order feature.

We also float everything between our branches within the same system.
Floating doesn't try to adjust the shelving location when an item moves
from one location to another.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has figured out a solution to floating
between locations that don't have the same shelving locations?

My thoughts so far are along the lines of a nightly script that tries to
translate between each sites shelving locations.  Setup every possible
shelving location for every site across the region, and then move items
from one to another depending on a specific sites preferences.

Maybe a DB trigger based on the asset.copy(circ_lib) changing?  But I'm not
sure that would result in checkin after a float showing the correct
shelving location for the new branch.

Thanks
Josh
[image: Company logo]
*Josh Stompro*
IT Director
stomproj at gsuite.larl.org | 218-233-3757 ext. 139 | 218-790-2110
*Lake Agassiz Regional Library *
118 5th ST S
Moorhead MN 56560
www.larl.org
*Our mission is to enrich lives and strengthen communities.*