[Evergreen-general] Git Master Branch Renaming

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Sat Apr 29 19:45:17 EDT 2023

Hello, all.

The information below was sent to the development list earlier today.
In order to reach the widest audience, it is being resent now.

I will send another reminder roughly 1 week before the change is to take
place and will send another email to let everyone know after the change
has been completed.

On June 1 "master" branches in the public Evergreen repositories will be
renamed to "main."  The June 1 date avoids disruption with the Bug
Squashing week (May 8 through May 12) and the Evergreen 3.11 Release
scheduled for May 25.

Once the change has been made, you can update your local repositories by
running the following commands:

     git fetch --all
     git checkout -b main origin/main
     git branch -d master

The above assumes that your primary remote repository is named "origin."
  If the main Evergreen git repository has a different name in your
local repository, substitute that name for "origin" in the above example.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me
directly or send a message to the list.

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson