[Evergreen-general] Ways to handle shelving location names?

Erica Rohlfs erica.rohlfs at equinoxoli.org
Thu Aug 17 13:52:06 EDT 2023

Good Afternoon Olivia,

Some consortia have a standardized naming convention that all member
libraries must try to fold into - but the locations themselves remain built
at the system / branch levels. There will, of course, be libraries that
don't use certain locations and some that still need specialized locations
within this uniform list.

I do want to mention that there is a carousel type of Newest Items by
Shelving Location that may also affect how you create shelving locations.

Thank You,
Erica

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 1:43 PM Olivia Scully via Evergreen-general <

> Thanks, folks, for your input on this! It's definitely helpful to see how
> everyone's handling things a bit differently depending on library needs.
>
> If anyone else has other thoughts, ideas, etc, about shelving locations -
> please chime in! It's really good food for thought.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> --
> Olivia Scully* (she/her)*
> Help Desk Coordinator
> Bibliomation, Inc. <https://biblio.org>
> oscully at biblio.org
> (203) 577-4070 <203-577-4070> x113
>

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 3:08 PM Olivia Scully <oscully at biblio.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We've been having some internal discussions around handling an
>> increasingly large number of shelving locations across our consortium (over
>> 1300 now), and wanted to ask you all for your thoughts & perspective.
>>
>> How do you all handle shelving locations? Do you have a set standardized
>> list/a list of set options for libraries to choose from? Do you add new
>> location names according to library request? Other ways you might handle
>> locations?
>>
>> And what are the pros & cons of handling things that way vs. other ways?
>>
>> Any thoughts you can share would be very appreciated!!
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Olivia
>>
>> --
>> Olivia Scully* (she/her)*