[Evergreen-general] computers for those who have never used one

Lolis, John jlolis at whiteplainsny.gov
Mon Aug 21 15:12:58 EDT 2023

After considerable cogitation on this, I've concluded that the answer to #1
should start with a kiosk interface.  A kiosk would--or should--only allow
actions that are directed and safe, and could therefore serve as a wading
pool for newbies.  Properly designed and developed, it could educate at the
same time it allows use.  I'd also allow for advancement to the next
level(s) in which some of the restrictive kiosk features are removed.
Advance far enough, and all kiosk features are removed.

As for question #2, the answer here is "all of the above."  Or whatever
works under the given circumstances, especially when very busy and little
time can be devoted to helping only one person.  Staff try their best to
help however they can, including helping patrons fill out forms of whatever
sort.  With regard to handling patron phones, tablets or laptops, we're
rather loose about it; however, I direct my staff of three to avoid doing
that.  In a previous life doing tech support, it was strictly verboten to
even suggest certain changes, let alone perform them.  That was to avoid
potential lawsuits in which someone claims damage from our direction or
actions.

hmmm... you know, thinking about advising patrons to bring someone with
them who can help, I could see coming up with a program that pairs high
school students with patrons who need more involved help.

Best wishes to all,

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems

100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY  10601

tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

https://whiteplainslibrary.org/

*“I would rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that
can’t be questioned.”*
— Richard Feynman
<https://click.fourhourmail.com/5qure95xkf7hvvo93wh2/7qh7h8h05vr4zrtz/aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvUmljaGFyZF9GZXlubWFu>,
theoretical physicist and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965

On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 at 16:49, Diane Disbro via Evergreen-general <