[Evergreen-general] Changes in Chrome's handling of old tabs

Johnathon Redmon jredmon at monticello.lib.in.us
Thu Feb 23 16:34:33 EST 2023

I went into the settings under performance and tweaked it to ignore
evergreen, my work email, and my work calendar. I don't need to
inadvertently lose progress while creating a marc record!

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 4:09 PM Terran McCanna via Evergreen-general <

> Wow, thank you Galen. That might explain some weird and seemingly
> inconsistent things we've had some staff report.
>

> Terran McCanna, PINES Program Manager
> ------------------------------
>
> Georgia Public Library Service | University System of Georgia
>
> 2872 Woodcock Blvd, Suite 250 l Atlanta, GA 30341
>
> (404) 235-7138 | tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
>
> http://help.georgialibraries.org | help at georgialibraries.org
>
> <https://www.facebook.com/georgialibraries>
> <https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>
> <https://www.instagram.com/georgialibraries/>
> <https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>
>
> Join our email list <http://georgialibraries.org> for stories of Georgia
> libraries making an impact in our communities.
>

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 3:57 PM Galen Charlton via Evergreen-general <
> evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to bring folks' attention to a change to the Chrome browser that
>> may affect staff workflows.
>>
>> Specifically, the new "Memory Saver" will cause Chrome to deactivate
>> unused tabs that have been sitting a while (where, as far as I can tell, a
>> "while" could mean anywhere from five minutes to an hour). If you go back
>> to one of the deactivated tabs, Chrome will reload the page from scratch.
>>
>> If that tab has the Evergreen staff client, while you'll still be logged
>> in when you open a deactivated tab, other state such as your place in a
>> grid will not carry over.
>>
>> I can imagine that this could cause challenges for anybody who is used to
>> a workflow that involves opening several copies of the staff client in
>> multiple tabs. For example, if you're working from a large Record Bucket,
>> paging through it and doing something with each record, a lunch break might
>> make you lose your place in the bucket.
>>
>> Chrome does offer an option to specify a list of sites that should not
>> have their tabs deactivated.
>>
>> Additional details and commentary can be found here:
>>
>> [1]
>> https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/12929150#zippy=%2Cturn-memory-saver-on-or-off%2Ckeep-specific-sites-active
>> [2]
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/chrome-110-will-automatically-discard-background-tabs-heres-how-to-stop-it/
>> [3] https://developer.chrome.com/blog/memory-and-energy-saver-mode/
>>
>> Beyond that, I'd like to ask a question - how are you managing tabs when
>> using the staff client? Does anybody finish the day with dozens of
>> Evergreen tabs open?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>> Galen Charlton
>> Implementation and IT Manager
>> Equinox Open Library Initiative
>> gmc at equinoxOLI.org
>> https://www.equinoxOLI.org
>> phone: 877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
>> direct: 770-709-5581
>> <http://evergreen-ils.org>

Johnathon Redmon
Technical Services Cataloging Clerk
Monticello Union-Township Public Library
321 W. Broadway St.
Monticello, IN 47960