[Evergreen-general] Documentation for item status

Paula Elliott pelliott at forbeslibrary.org
Thu May 25 13:45:22 EDT 2023

Hi Ben,

All of these status change to available when items are checked in.  If
someone lets a reference item be checked out to a patron, when the item is
returned the Library Use Only status disappears and changes to available.
Which is why you see reference items with this status.

Paula

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 12:08 PM Benjamin Kalish via Evergreen-general <

> Hi, folks!
>
> I've been unable to find documentation of how item statuses work! Could
> someone point me in the right direction?
>
> I know there is a list of item status and instructions for adding new
> status at Evergreen docs / System Administration From the Staff Client /
> Item Statuses
> <https://docs.evergreen-ils.org/eg/docs/3.8/admin/copy_statuses.html#:~:text=To%20navigate%20to%20the%20item,of%20items%20in%20your%20system.>,
> but it leaves some fundamental questions unanswered:
>
>    - Besides staff editing an item directly, what are the other
>    conditions that cause the item status to change, and how do they change?
>    - Do all items get reshelving status on check in?
>    - When reshelving status expires, what determines the new status?
>
> I'm particularly interested in how items with status custom statuses (we
> use In Library Use, Display, and Storage a lot at my library) change on
> checkin, but I feel like all of this should be well documented in some easy
> to find place.
>
> Benjamin Kalish
> Forbes Library / 413-587-1012 / bkalish at forbeslibrary.org
>
> Support Forbes Library:
>
>    - Consider giving a gift
>    <https://forbeslibrary.org/giving/donate-online/> to Forbes Library
>    - Vote for the Friends of Forbes in the Florence Bank Community Grant
>    Program <https://www.florencebank.com/vote>.
>    - Join the Friends of Forbes today <https://forbeslibrary.org/friends/>
>    !
>
> Currently reading: *Word Nerd: Dispatches from the Games, Grammar, and
> Geek Underground* by John D. Williams
> Just Finished: *Resurgence *by C. J. Cherryh
>
> For information about accessibility at the library, please see:
> http://forbeslibrary.org/accessibility/

*Paula Elliott*
*Head of Technical Services*
*Forbes Library*