[Evergreen-general] Documentation for item status

Lindsay Stratton lstratton at wlsmail.org
Thu May 25 13:34:57 EDT 2023

Hi Benjamin,

Here are a few thoughts, some of which are documented in places...

   - Besides staff editing an item directly, what are the other conditions
   that cause the item status to change, and how do they change?
      - Check In, aka Process Items in Ye Olden Evergreene Tymes, does most
      of the status change heavy lifting. In addition to discharging a
      borrowed item from a patron account (status change from checked out to
      Recently Returned), also changes non-circulating statuses like
      Damaged/Lost/Bindery/Cataloging/etc. back to circulating
(active) statuses;
      captures holds, from a pull list or opportunistically, and sets
items to On
      Holds Shelf or In Transit; changes new items from In Process to Available
      - Check In, and allied processes (like Renew, Clear Hold Shelf), sort
      of stack status changes. Ex: an item being checked in from a
loan that can
      fill a hold will go from Checked Out to Recently Returned to On Holds
      Shelf or In Transit
         - If you have access to the database, there is an audit table
         - auditor.asset_copy_history - that shows these types of changes
      - Other processes, like Checkout, Cancel Transit, Mark
      Lost/Missing/Damaged/Discard/etc. produce the related statuses,
and some of
      the resulting statuses are defined in Library Settings
      - Some statuses are changed by Action Trigger, such as Checked Out
      (overdue) to Lost
      - Some statuses are changed based on Library Settings, such as
      Recently Returned to Available
      - Lost is changed to Lost and Paid when a bill is paid in full (if
      enabled)

   - Do all items get reshelving status on check in?
      - Sort of! See above!
      - Reshelving is more or less specific to items that are going to the
      shelf. If other things are needed, like transits/pending holds,
the status
      will effectively skip reshelving
      - Some items, like Pre-cat circs, typically go to Cataloging status

   - When reshelving status expires, what determines the new status?
      - I've always sort of assumed the "Available" is a hardcoded default
      status, because that item should be on the shelf, ready to be checked out
      or able to be targeted for a hold, etc., but... IDK

Lindsay

*Lindsay Stratton*
*Systems Librarian*
Westchester Library System
570 Taxter Rd., 4th Floor
Elmsford, NY 10523
lstratton at wlsmail.org

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 12:08 PM Benjamin Kalish via Evergreen-general <