[Evergreen-governance-l] FW: Evergreen Foundation

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Aug 4 14:56:33 EDT 2010

Hi,

I support agreeing to their request, insofar as I would like representation in Evergreen governance to be as broad as possible.  MnPALS certainly has the experience in library automation (decades of it, in fact) to be a valuable voice, and with their Evergreen database and their support of the ECRL migration, they certainly have enough skin in the game.  Putting my developer hat on, I would be very happy to see lots of commits from them in the future.

However, one caveat, and time to put my vendor hat on: in my mind, they also represent a case, which was inevitable, that it will be increasingly difficult to draw a clear line between vendors and libraries.  Equinox is obviously on end of the scale - I won't pretend that our rather large stack of O'Reilly books makes us a library.  A library or consortium who is just using Evergreen would be at the other end.  However, there is a potentially mushy middle - consortia who actively expand membership, sometimes on a fee for service basis, and who, as in the case of PALS, respond (and win) competitive RFPs.

Why does this matter?  Currently, there are four vendor members of this committee, all of whom are ex officio.  Where does MnPALS fall?

Regards,

Galen