[Evergreen-governance-l] Bylaws - Question about Dues, Fiscal Year

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon Aug 30 11:35:46 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Aug 30, 2010, at 11:27 AM, Amy Terlaga wrote:
> Also, in reading through this 501c3 bylaws how-to, they mention fiscal year:
>
> http://www.ehow.com/list_6772343_501c3-bylaws.html
>
> Tips
>
> ·  An organization's bylaws often include the organization's fiscal year, which is required by the IRS for some tax-exempt organizations.
>

> I’m not sure how much the Software Freedom Conservancy’s governance structure influences ours (if at all).

Since we're starting with a blank slate, matching the SFC's fiscal year (which starts March 1) makes sense to me, unless there is some paperwork advantage to having the EG foundation's fiscal year start closer to when the foundation is incorporated, which presumably is reasonably likely to occur before March 1, 2011.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton