[Evergreen-governance-l] FW: Governance Rules - Revised Draft

Amy Terlaga terlaga at biblio.org
Tue Aug 31 16:33:15 EDT 2010

On this membership question:

3) can I assume membership is approved by a simple majority?

I meant to bring this up earlier, but forgot.  Are we sure we want the
membership to approve all other incoming members?

I'm concerned that that would be an administrative nightmare and would hold
up the membership process unnecessarily.

What's wrong with the criteria that have already been defined in the bylaws
for membership approval?  There are some areas where I think the Board,
acting on behalf of the larger body, should be charged with making prudent
decisions such as membership acceptance or denial.

Section 2.1 (Eligibility).

(a)    Membership shall be open to any group, organization, business,
library district/system (regardless of membership in a consortium), so long
as that group, organization, business, library district/system or individual
is an active Evergreen user or developer.

(b)   Membership shall also be open to any individual Evergreen programmer
or developer who is unassociated with a Member entity,

(c)    Groups, organizations, businesses, library districts/systems, or
individuals that wish to become recognized as a Member shall submit to the
Oversight Board Secretary the name of the individual or entity that wishes
to join the Foundation as well as contact information for the designated
person who will receive notices and correspondence from the Foundation and
who will be eligible to vote on behalf of the individual or entity.

(d)   The Oversight Board shall be responsible for approving Foundation
memberships.

=======================

Amy Terlaga

Assistant Director, User Services