[Evergreen-governance-l] Proposed New Governance Changes

Watson, Sylvia sywatson at library.IN.gov
Thu Oct 21 09:48:04 EDT 2010

I've read through the e-mail comments and I know we are trying to reevaluate the purpose(s) for the Foundation, but I thought I would at least provide some feedback with regard to the perceived discrepancies in the governance rules.

As noted in the rules, the designated contact person for an organizational member would be the person who would vote on matters on behalf of the member entity.  Feasibly, yes, that person could be changed upon notification to the board. I don't see that as an issue.

However, individuals are nominated for a seat on the board, and then specifically voted in by the membership.  If I vote for "X" to be a board member, then that person cannot be interchanged with "Y" unilaterally by the member entity.  As stated in the rules, X could resign from the board and the Oversight Board could choose to appoint Y to fill the spot, or the board could choose someone else.

Sylvia

From: evergreen-governance-l-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:evergreen-governance-l-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Lori Bowen Ayre
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:42 PM
To: Corridan, Jim (ICPR)
Cc: evergreen-governance-l at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: Re: [Evergreen-governance-l] Proposed New Governance Changes

If an organization joins, I don't think they can serve on the Board as in...

Members can run for election to the Oversight Board, vote in the elections for the Oversight Board and suggest referenda.

Or, are you suggesting that the contact person for an "entity" could get elected to the board and then that entity could change their person whenever they wanted to?  Couldn't change them without getting 2/3 agreement from other Oversight Board members????