[Evergreen-governance-l] Membership Dues - a bad idea?

Amy Terlaga terlaga at biblio.org
Wed Sep 1 17:11:32 EDT 2010

Actually, Steve's right, I wasn't thinking about the programmers.  My
opinion is that if you're a programmer, the dues fee should be waived.

I'm wondering if a meeting to discuss these sticky matters might be
necessary.  I'm uncomfortable with the fact that one or two opinions seem to
have staying power in these bylaws when not everyone has weighed in on the
matter.

More on the matter of dues (and I might be in the minority here and if
that's so, then I'll drop the whole thing):

Here's the thing - Bibliomation (and I assume all other agencies) have in
our budget to pay for dues to an organization like the Evergreen Foundation.
We pay that to COSUGI right now (and COSUGI is separate from SirsiDynix -
they're a 501c3, too).

So let's say we leave out the dues part.  Apparently it's a hot button
issue.

My big fear is that if we don't put it in now, to try to introduce it later
will be even harder.

I do not want to cripple the Foundation right from the start.

If we talk about reimbursement for this and reimbursement for that in the
bylaws, and we don't really have a means to reimburse folks, then it's a bit
of a problem.

And I'm assuming that the Software Freedom Conservancy has Board liability
insurance protection?  Dan, have you already answered that for us and I've
forgotten?

=======================

Amy Terlaga

Assistant Director, User Services