[Evergreen-governance-l] FW: Be sure to do this

Watson, Sylvia sywatson at library.IN.gov
Wed Sep 1 16:36:48 EDT 2010

Steve,

I assume you meant this to go out to the group.  I think your comments are valuable and should be considered by all.  I'm hoping we can all be candid about our thoughts without the fear of offending a group member or having someone feel they are being personally attacked.  The more people speak up, the more it helps me determine the group consensus so I know what revisions to make to the rules.

I don't think we should necessarily count out the third/original option which is to just not have dues at all and have the Finance and Fundraising Committee find alternative ways to finance Foundation activities.  All options should be considered, but I appreciate your point about "developers not wanting to pay for the privilege of programming for free."  That is definitely something that should be taken into consideration.

Sylvia

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Wills [mailto:steve.wills at lyrasis.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:06 PM
To: Watson, Sylvia
Subject: RE: [Evergreen-governance-l] FW: Be sure to do this

I hope this is received as constructive.  I fear it will sound awkward or petty and I sincerely do not mean to ruffle feathers by saying it.  I have been a member of a lot of open source projects.  Whether I have contributed a few patches and disappeared or have drunk the  kool-aid with the core community, the one constant is that the majority of the code hackers I know would balk at having to pay dues for the privilege of programming for free.  Many of those same people would and have donated both time and money to these projects as part of being welcomed, recognized and/or intellectually stimulated.

Once you start making exceptions, like for developers & writers, however, the slope gets slick quickly.  We need at least two classes of members; ones who pay dues and get something for doing that,  and ones who have chosen not to donate money but whose talents we will still gratefully accept and whose opinions we will continue to solicit.  The alternative, I suppose, is to define a procedure by which the membership can elect to waive someone's dues requirement.

Stev3