[Evergreen-governance-l] Governance: two outstanding action items

Steve Wills steve.wills at lyrasis.org
Thu Mar 10 12:40:43 EST 2011

Thanks Dan,

With the exception of your observation of an ultimate deterrent to member conflicts, I didn't see any discussion on this question.   I sit on my town's planning board and, because of my affiliation with Lyrasis, the question of a conflict arises for me whenever our town librarian proposes an RFP.   We have specific procedures for determining when and if there is a conflict.  Everyone on this board now is pretty seasoned and will know how and when to withdraw from a vote.  If it is left unaddressed, my question is if the board will always be so lucky? Isn't it prudent to at least take a look at guidelines of other non-profit boards and add  2.7 (b) to the effect that,

2.7 (b) If a board member is unsure if he/she or any other board member has a conflict, the matter may be resolved by consulting with......   etc. etc.

I would be happy to do a survey of how other NGO's and projects handle this case and suggest some more wording unless y'all really don't think it's worth the effort?

Stev3