[Evergreen-governance-l] Notice of Evergreen Foundation Committee Meeting; April 30, 2011 (Proposed Message to Evergreen Community)

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Wed Mar 16 12:44:01 EDT 2011

As an afterthought to my earlier email...

I've lost track of whether existing volunteer groups in the community are being officially subsumed within the new entity that Governance is forming or if that decision is being left for later. My two cents is that it would make sense for Governance to figure out what "rules" go along with being a committee within the Governance organization and then offer that option to existing community groups like DIG. The memberships of those groups could then vote on whether to become a committee or stay independent. I'm not suggesting that DIG or other existing groups wouldn't want to be part of this Governance movement, only that offering the choice could help with getting buy-in from current participants. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Karen

----- "Karen Collier" <kcollier at kent.lib.md.us> wrote:

Amy,

I'm not sure a DIG report is necessary given it's already such a full agenda and we report regularly at the community meetings. However, if the Governance group would like a DIG report (and if I make it to the conference or can prevail on someone who is attending) we could probably give a short report. The really short version of the report goes something like this: "Yes we exist and are writing documentation. Here's a brief history of DIG. You too can help." If that sounds at all helpful in this context, let me know.

It might make more sense to give a DIG report if the focus of the report were on how the new relationship between DIG and Governance will work, though I'm not sure I entirely understand how that relationship will be working myself yet. Does the copyright on any documentation we produce get assigned to this new entity? Will DIG participants have to be potentially-dues-paying members of the not-foundation-but-whatever-it-is-we're-calling-this in order to participate and/or hold a leadership position in DIG? To what extent will the governance board be micromanaging how DIG operates? There may be other questions to consider about the relationship between DIG and governance, but this is what comes to mind right away. Any thoughts on these issues or on whether we need a DIG report at this meeting?

Thanks,
Karen

----- "Amy Terlaga" <terlaga at biblio.org> wrote:

Yes, excellent. You’ve summarized it well, Elizabeth.

On this:

II. Board Reports; Update on the past year
-Communications Committee
-Conference Committee
-Other Committees or Community entities?

I supposed the web team work can be reported under the Communications Committee.

For the conference committee, would that be a report on how well the conference has gone and an introduction of the new conference (2012) masters?

How about DIG – should we see if Karen Collier wants to give a summary report of their work?

Amy