[Evergreen-governance-l] Google Summer of Code Fund

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue May 17 12:07:06 EDT 2011

Okay, that is definitely NOT what I understood the proposal to be.  Nor is
what the grant partners understood so I guess I should get back with them to
see what they think about using the funds for that purpose.

The other idea that was resonating with the grant partners was a hackfest
day.  A day in which everyone agreed to work on a project (or at least be
available to those who were working on a specific project).  No details have
been worked out and we are just in the early conception days but again the
idea is to do something that will create an opening for more people to get
involved in coding so obviously this would have to be closely coordinated
with the developers and there would undoubtedly be some training and/or
intro to Evergreen internals involved....Rebecca Serey of EINetwork was
going to start fleshing out the idea.  Your comments are welcome.

And while I'm reporting, I would like everyone to know that we've developed
a comprehensive draft of Evergreen features that we've pulled together from
several sources (internal docs from libraries evaluating Evergreen, an
Equinox RFP response, and release notes).  The features are arranged by
primary and secondary category.  I shared what I had so far with DIG and
will be getting some help from them in terms of vetting the document (e.g.
verify that that really is a feature [as of which release when possible] or
really is not available yet.  To work on  it, we are going to put it up on
Google Docs (its a spreadsheet and each worksheet contains the features in
one category).  We felt we could more easily update it and organize it there
(this is not permanent, just for now).  We will also display it on the wiki
(Anoop and Jim are handling that connection).  Brian will be responsible for
updating it as new features become available.  The spreadsheet should be
available in the next week or so on both Google Docs (and I'll be asking for
more volunteers to help clean it up) and on the wiki so everyone can find it
on evergreen-ils.org.

Just FYI,  I am doing the same thing with Koha and I eventually  hope to
have a place where the Koha and Evergreen feature set are displayed
side-by-side so people can more easily compare them.  Whatever I do on the
Koha side and with the compare presentation will be available for anyone to
use however they like.  I'm not sure where it will live yet.  I'll keep you
posted.

Other than that, no news from the Communication Committee.  Our next meeting
is May 26th and we will be reviewing Jim's first draft of a website
development plan (very high level...site architecture and wire frames).

--

Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling