[evergreen-outreach] Update on annual survey

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Dec 15 16:25:36 EST 2017

Hi all,

As I mentioned on our last Outreach Committee call, I wanted to look at
various WordPress plugins to possibly handle the community survey this
year. My goal was to have a platform where participants could enter data
for this year and then have a way to easily edit their data in
subsequent years so that they don't need to re-enter the same
information from year to year. Another secondary goal was that, if we
entered this data on the Evergreen web site, we might possibly be able
to utilize in a directory of Evergreen libraries that might be a little
more up to date than what's available on the wiki.

Rogan had previously looked for a plugin, and I have to concur with his
opinion that there isn't anything that fits the bill.

I originally looked at directory plug-ins, but most don't allow
customization of the fields without an additional, annual licensing
cost. The most promising one I found was called Business Directory
Plugins, and I think it might be worth investigating if we ever do host
a library directory on the Evergreen site, but it seemed to be a little
more than what we needed for the purposes of the annual survey.

I also looked at form plugins, which allow customizations, but they
really didn't provide a way for users to update their information at
annual survey time.

However, I think I may have found a good solution by using Google forms.
I created a form that allows users to go back and edit their entries at
a later time. The link to edit the entry is included in a confirmation
e-mail, which most people will probably delete by the time we send out
the survey again next year. However, I found a script that will generate
those edit links and add them to the spreadsheet where the Google form
results are stored. When we send the survey out next year, then, we can
send this link directly to the person who filled out the form the
previous year and ask them to update their information. If there are new
questions on the form, they can also answer those. If nothing has
changed, they just need to click in a checkbox and submit the form as
is. What do you think?

The draft survey is available at https://goo.gl/forms/q4s12wQJ3eLnQNfe2.
It's about the same as it was last year, with the addition of an e-mail
field and a question on number of registered users, as we discussed on
the call. I added the e-mail field to facilitate the process described
in my last paragraph.

Feel free to let me know if you have any feedback on the survey itself
or on how I would like to use Google forms.

Thank you and happy holidays!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier