[evergreen-outreach] proofing copy three

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:54:21 EDT 2018

OK, clearly I missed my self imposed deadline of 2 pm.  There was enough
feedback that I couldn't get it all in plus the things I noticed.  But
thanks to the wonders of modern technology and mobile hotspots on phones
I've continued to plug away at it.

All of this is relevant because with my laptop screen but without
additional monitors so it's hard to jump between all the additional windows
to track font changes and such but I _think_ I've gotten the fonts
standardized.  Another pass will be needed.  If you still see font
weirdness please don't hesitate to say something.  How Scribus handles
fonts .... well, let's just say it's not intuitive.  I have unkind
adjectives in mind but it is at least consistent so I can work around it
even if it makes absolutely no sense why it's doing it in the first place.
And I'm thinking the manual editing of the XML I did at the beginning may
be needed again.  Anyway....

I'm still finding some small layout tweaks.  You may notice them.  I
haven't logged them as everyone else has been so kind to do.

Uh..... I have a lot of thoughts but time is short and I don't remember
most of them.  But I think all the changes are in.  I do however want to
highlight something that has been driving me nuts and that Andrea
mentioned: kerning.

I think some of the text flows look ... not good.  Scribus does not have
smart kerning like InDesign or Quark or ... other modern commercial
software layout tools.  For the most part Scribus has been decent but when
it fails it really fails.  We could just justify everything to both sides
like a newspaper but that would look just as bad just different.  The thing
about kerning is that it's time consuming to do manually and small text
changes can make it all mute so I'm not going to tackle it until I feel
sure text changes aren't incoming and even then I'm not sure I'll have time
to really go through it all.

That will be tomorrow.

 Proofing copy 3 is attached.