[evergreen-outreach] LITA training/webinar opportunity

Andrea Buntz Neiman abneiman at equinoxinitiative.org
Mon Feb 3 17:26:17 EST 2020

+1, I love this idea. I don't think I will be able to attend the meeting
this week either, but I'm happy to help however I can - I attended the
session at ALA Annual in 2019, and (to everyone's surprise) took copious
notes, which were turned into a blog post for EOLI's newsletter. Happy to
offer that up as a starting point.

ABN

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 3:24 PM <rogan.hamby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm adding this to the new business part of the agenda.  I think it's a
> great idea.
>
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 3:01 PM Galen Charlton <gmc at equinoxinitiative.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm on the LITA board, and during discussions at Midwinter the perennial
>> topic of education materials came up.
>>
>> There are a couple programs at previous ALA conferences that were done
>> under the auspices of the Outreach Committee that I think might be worth
>> pitching as a webinar (or at least, a blog post) in collaboration with
>> LITA. In particular, the "Tech gurus optional" [1] could do well as a
>> webinar for library administrators, IT and otherwise, and would fit with
>> the proposal to merge LITA with ALA's metadata and administration
>> divisions, ALCTS and LLAMA.
>>
>> The "Free Kittens and Beer" one could also work as well. [2]
>>
>> I think this could be a good opportunity to get the Evergreen name and
>> information about the practicalities of using and running open source
>> projects out there.
>>
>> Per a conversation I had with LITA's executive director Jenny Levine, if
>> this is done as a paid webinar, it's not beyond the realm of possibility of
>> sharing the revenue with LITA, although if y'all want to pursue that,
>> somebody other than me will have to be the one negotiating this.
>>
>> Anyway, please give this a thought or two. I won't be in a position to
>> attend the Outreach meeting this week, but I'm happy to answer any
>> questions you have and help facilitate a formal proposal if you decide to
>> do this.
>>
>> I should note that there is an open call for proposals [3] until the 16th.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://www.eventscribe.com/2018/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=381387
>> [2]
>> https://www.eventscribe.com/2019/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=518999
>> [3] https://docs.lita.org/lita-forms/propose-a-webinar-or-online-course/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>> Galen Charlton
>> Implementation and Services Manager
>> Equinox Open Library Initiative
>> phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
>> email:  gmc at equinoxInitiative.org
>> web:  https://equinoxInitiative.org
>> direct: +1 770-709-5581
>> cell:   +1 404-984-4366

Andrea Buntz Neiman
Project Manager for Software Development
Equinox Open Library Initiative
abneiman at equinoxinitiative.org
1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457) x5583
*www.equinoxinitiative.org <http://www.equinoxinitiative.org>*