[evergreen-outreach] videos and subtitles

rogan.hamby at gmail.com rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 13:41:16 EDT 2020

I've spent a little time today (and hit the limit of what I can spare) to
look at closed captions and subtitles on the videos so far.  My
observations in no particular order are :

1) The closed captions files are a mess.  Even with a conscious effort to
not be nitpicky they could take a lot of time to make readable and that's
without addressing the time syncing issues.

2) Youtube does not provide any feedback about what it doesn't like about
the subtitle files when it does encounter an issue either than line number
and it's not clear how it's calculating those line numbers (subtitle line
versus actual file line).

3) The Youtube autogenerated ones on the ones I did look at are
surprisingly good and can be easily edited from the classic editor.  In
many cases they would need at least a little though.  Antora alone has some
amusing variations.

These three things combined with a desire on my part to not make this a tar
pit of activity has led me to making the following recommendations:

1) We continue putting the really clean transcript on the evergreen-ils.org
site and linking to it in each video description.

2) For the subtitles / closed captions we use the Youtube autogenerated
ones as our basis rather than the CC file from Zoom as I think it's a
cleaner basis and has the advantage of time codes in place already.