[Evergreen-web-team] Updated wiki page with links to EG 2011 Conference presentations

Jim Craner jim at chicagotech.org
Thu Jun 16 16:08:35 EDT 2011

Hi Anoop, glad to have you back, hope you feel better!

>  The awesome features list/status is included and I plan on putting up a
>  link to it on one of the drop downs. [
>  http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=feature_list ].

Looks awesome - thanks for getting that up there.  Thanks to some conversations w/ Bob M., I learned how
to do iframes in Dokuwiki while you were gone but since I couldn't make dropdown menu changes, I wasn't
able to help.  Thanks again!

>  Which brings me to Lori's comment about a top level section called
>  "wiki". I agree it's a bit useless but think of it more as a wiki
>  sitemap/start page. There always need to be links to important content
>  (wiki or otherwise) via menus/links.

I see what Lori was getting at, but I am OK with how it is now because I am somewhat used to seeing a
"Wiki" link in a software community site's navigation as the informal docs / handbook / community docs
part of the site, just like we're doing, and not just as a format.  Lots of smaller projects don't have any
official docs and just use a wiki as the sole docs repository so my mental habit is "No docs link in the menu?
Ah, there's a wiki link, click there."

>  I don't think one needs to approach this as wiki vs official website,
>  but we can discuss this in more detail some other time.

Given the current website environment, I wouldn't position it as "wiki vs. official website" but instead,
"Documentation (Official) vs. Documentation (Community Wiki)" linking to the respective start pages of
each (which I agree is necessary for wikis).  I think they are both equally useful but in different respects and
our goal should be to help users easily get to the info they need no matter where it is or how it's
maintained.  I think this is as good a time as any to start that conversation :)

>  Do agree that the conference pages/info need to be archived somewhere,
>  Ben Shum and I talked about this and possible ideas for the future.
>  Should future conference websites be hosted by the "hosts" or on the
>  Evergreen website?

My understanding of how it's done in the Drupal world, which has a pretty active "official" and "unofficial"
events calendar, is that the Drupal Association (equivalent of the EG Foundation) "stewards" the domain
name system AND provides website infrastructure for "official" events.  So when a local conference
committee (London 2011) gets approved for an official global event, the DA sets up the site so there is
unified domain name (london2011.drupal.org), user authentication, content syndication, etc. and since the
DA is maintaining the infrastructure in perpetuity, they automatically archive everything.  Unsanctioned
events' sites are hosted by the local hosts so there may or may not be a permanent archive of attendee
info, proceedings, recordings, presentations, collaborative projects, etc.

If EG conferences are integral to growth of the EG community, then it could be argued that the Web Team
should make supporting conferences part of their mandate: provide basic conference website services or
help the hosts contract out to a third-party that offers those services.  In that case, we'd be supporting a
"Conference Organizer" user role and the initial user story would be something like "Provide integration
and/or hosting services as requested by Conference Organizers" during leadup to and wind-down after
conferences and other events."

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jim

>  Cheers
>
>  On 06/10/2011 06:23 PM, Lori Bowen Ayre wrote:
>  > Hi All,
>  >
>  > See forwarded message below. I don't see a good place for these resources to
>  > live in the proposed site map revision (
>  > http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?
media=webteam:eg_sitemap_proposed_20110509.pdf