[Evergreen-web-team] What should the EG Website Team do next?

Jim Craner jim at chicagotech.org
Mon Sep 12 15:57:22 EDT 2011

Thanks, June - great stuff!  (And thanks for going first! :-)

Hopefully everyone else is working on their contributions but in the
meantime, I'll throw in a couple of small points inline to your suggestions:

On 09/08/2011 12:20 PM, Rayner, June wrote:

> 1.  Technical / Platform changes.   Based on the recommendations that
> we have put forth, what technical or platform changes do we need to
> make to implement those recommendations?    What resources are
> required to do this?     If the resources required are more than what
> the current web team can provide, who could potentially provide those
> resources and how can we approach them?    For example, if we were
> going to implement an idea percolator, is there an existing tool that
> does this (like IdeaTorrent that Sitka was using)?    Where can it
> run?   What's needed to install it?   What costs are involved?

Lori has been discussing IdeaTorrent with some folks from Sitka and we
have a separate instance to use.  She will give us more info at our
meeting on Thursday.

> 2.  Ongoing maintenance.   The current EG web site SWAT team has
> pioneered the process of doing relatively small changes.    Maybe to
> split the work up, we can ask individuals if they can "adopt a page"
> for ongoing maintenance, with the overall plan and guidelines in
> mind.
>
> 3.  New Content.    If we've identified new content that we want to
> add to the site, and assuming there are no technical barriers from
> #1, have a "content wanted" page and ask people if they have existing
> content that could be adapted or if they would work on creating the
> new content.
>
> 4.  Major site overhauls.    If someone has a large block of time to
> work on a major overhaul, that's great.   But probably not realistic.
> This might be tackled in an Evergreen website hackfest, possibly as
> part of the Evergreen conference.

2, 3, and 4 are all great ideas and definitely achievable given the
team's resources.

Other folks have thoughts to share?

Thanks again, June!
-Jim