[Evergreen-web-team] 2012-05-31 EG Web Team meeting notes

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Mon Jun 4 11:56:52 EDT 2012

2012-05-31 EG Web Team meeting notes

Topic: Future Evergreen website

Attendees: Lori Ayre, Jim Craner, Alexey Lazar

Lori and Jim gave Alexey background information about the website re-architecture project goals and the work that was done in preparation for it.  We discussed what the role of the web team should be for managing content migration as well as maintenance of the future site.  We also talked about strategies to ensure long-term success for the new site.

We then discussed what would be the most practical approach to move forward, in terms of immediate action items as well some basic guiding principles for content migration and management on the new site. In terms of general approach, it seems like we had agreement that all units of information, content management processes and systems that we set up need to have defined owners/managers assigned to them.  These owners will then have certain defined tasks that they will perform based on the type of responsibility they have.  Feature and content availability of the new site will be strongly influenced by availability of volunteers who agree to become the owners of those features.

In terms of immediate action items, we are going to move forward with a Drupal-based prototype. Lori and Jim agreed that Jim will serve as the owner/administrator of this prototype website. He will be responsible for initial installation, user configuration and management, and any future Drupal-related system administration tasks, like security and system updates.

After the prototype is set up, we will use the new proposed website architecture as a blueprint for site organization. Alexey will work with Jim to implement it.

As a pilot for content migration, we will use the Web Team content from the current EG website. While migrating the content to the prototype, we hope to improve organization, weed out old content, reduce the amount of copy and also assign content and process ownership roles.  This will be a exercise both in using Drupal and dealing with content migration issues.

We agreed to have weekly group meetings and weekly action items to keep steady progress.

Alexey Lazar
PALS
Information System Developer and Integrator
507-389-2907
http://www.mnpals.org/