[Evergreen-web-team] Evergreen Libraries map icon

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu Jun 7 15:41:36 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

Just something that occurred to me while I was working on the KML files
for the Evergreen libraries page...

We're apparently still using this image from Bob Molyneux's old website
(http://www.molyneux.com/EGmaps/images/LibraryMarker.png) to indicate
where Evergreen libraries are located around the world. See full map:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen_libraries

However, according to the original webpage started by Molyneux for the
maps, he writes, "A special thanks to Marshall Breeding for permission
to use his version of the library symbol from the Google maps from his
lib-web-cats site...".  Now that we've taken over from Molyneux all the
data and files, we may want to seek revised permission from Breeding to
use the symbol on behalf of the entire Evergreen community.

That said, I noticed that Ben Hyman's version of the libraries map uses
a different marking symbol entirely:
http://maps.gstatic.com/mapfiles/ms2/micons/blue-dot.png

I thought of two potential courses of action:

1)  We continue to use the LibraryMarker.png image and seek the revised
permission from Breeding.  If so, perhaps we need to incorporate a
copyright statement on the origin of the file along with the file when
we make it part of the website's git repository.

2)  We can follow Ben's example and switch to using a more generic icon
like the blue-dot.png instead.

Thoughts or opinions moving forward?

-- Ben

--